Google
 

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Osceola Municipal Golf Course is one of those must play public courses

Oh how happy am I that I was able to play a full 18 holes of golf this afternoon. While my friends spent the day in a snow filled Michigan, I had the opportunity to play at Osceola Municipal Golf Course, one of the few public and affordable golf courses in the Pensacola, Florida area.

What immediately stuck out to me was the course's very cheap rates. While one could expect to pay 30 to 50 dollars for 18 holes and a cart up in Michigan, Osceola cost a grand total of $21 for 18 and a cart. Of course, this was the twilight rate, but the cool thing about Florida is that they consider after 1 P.M. to be twilight.


With prices that low, I really wasn't expecting much as far as quality is concerned. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The course was definitely not top notch, but far above my expectations.

In Florida's warm climate there is no such thing as a golf offseason. As such, the fairways show a little wear, but none more than what you would expect. The bunkers were amazing - as a Michigander I'm not used to pure white sand in the bunkers. Greens were very green and not tore up in the least bit.

From a playing standpoint there was nothing memorable about the course's layout and hole design. The course is very straight and open for the most part, and I've come to the conclusion that they do not believe in rough at Osceola. What is considered rough here is equivalent to Michigan's fairways. As a result your ball will roll forever.

Though Osceola is not particularly memorable, it is well maintained and affordable. For the first time being out this season with rental clubs I carded a 104. So it is definitely not hard, but still fun. I would recommend the course to anyone who happens to be around Pensacola and is looking for an affordable, but still satisfying round of golf.

Osceola's web site can be found by clicking here.

No comments: