Google
 

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Favre no where near the top

No matter which "great" player retires, everyone has to evaluate them against everyone else who played their position/sport. Brett Favre is no exception. His retirement after 17 seasons in the NFL has sparked conversations on just how good he was.

Favre was a good quarterback and a great football player. However, he should not be held as one of the best players in NFL history.

Sure, his consecutive games played streak is impressive. But really how much does that say about him? That he was good enough to start and not get hurt? Wow, that encompasses a lot of players throughout their career. Just because he sucked it up with injuries and played, he does not automatically get to be thrust into the upper echelon of football lore.

At quarterback, Favre was adequete. In his prime he was very good, but since that time (after 1999 or so), he has just become a ho-hum starting quarterback - a Kerry Collins type. I would take Peyton Manning any day over Favre. I will even go so far as to say Manning would own Favre in his prime.

Favre was good - others are better. Regardless, Packers fans are both in mourning and also finally relieved to see the retirement of number four.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well... where to begin?
I saw the title of this article and thought, "Well, duh, Favre was never anything wonderful."
And then you pulled out this crap about Manning.
Let me tell you something about the Manning brothers... the whole family, in fact: I really don't like them. They are, in my mind, a prime example of what's wrong with the world today: It's not what you know, it's who you know. It just seems... *odd*... that BROTHERS should rise to fame at the same time, and be in the top miniscule percentage of the populous when it comes to athletics....Not to mention the fact that every time I see Payton, he's trying to sell me something.
I was always neutral on Favre, and I have my hesitations about the Mannings, but I don't think I'll ever hate anyone as much as I hate Tom Brady.
I know, he was a Wolverine, but not much could make me happier than the moment when the clock wound down at the end of the SuperBowl.

Wow, that was a tangent.

"If the Pats win, I'm gonna make you have a threesome with Tom Brady and Nicholas Cage." -Tom Swope, to me, on the SuperBowl.

'Kay, have a nice day.